This brief phrase uttered during the recent NFL regional championships got me thinking.
Over my 18-year career as a nutraceutical designer and anti-aging guru I have heard an awful lot of noise.
The fact that I do not stop getting pretty much the same questions as I have from day one tells me the noise continues unabated. I also think of the phrase “Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
Bottom line on this one: the mere passage of time is all it takes to bring back the noise because no one in our sound bullet instant gratification society seems to remember much of anything for any longer than the news cycle.
Here is a classic noise piece for you from July 2012: “Fish oil increases the risk of prostate cancer!”. Do you remember that study from one DR. Braskey who ended his analysis by saying we should all take more Omega 6’s. That article made the rounds as gospel truth and several high ranking nationally famous urologist got on the “Ban Fish Oil Now” bandwagon.
Of course, we now know that putting it mildly that whole study was grandstanding nonsense. But it does point out the ongoing resistance by many of my scientific colleagues to admit that fish oil does more good and less harm than many drugs. But, since it is basically unpatentable Big Pharma continues to stone wall it. Even the “pharmaceutical” versions of fish oil are limited to tiny niches in the treatment of things like sky high triglycerides.
But above this noise, there continues to be dozens and even hundreds of Omega 3 fish oil based studies.
Here are some of the most recent fish oil studies you will not hear about because they are positive.
- Fish oil improves athletes immune function and reduces markers of oxidative stress. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2014 Apr;24(2):206-14
- Fish oil is useful for moderate knee arthritis Efficacy and Safety of Fish Oil in Treatment of Knee Osteoarthritis.
- Fish oil improved the outcomes in heart disease with people already on statins above and beyond just statin therapy. I wonder how much noise there is not to take fish oil with prescription drugs and how much push there is away from self-treatment with fish oil towards prescription only modified fish oil.
- J Am. Heart Assoc. 2017 Dec 15;6(12). pii: e006981. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.117.006981.
Effect of Eicosapentaenoic and Docosahexaenoic Acids Added to Statin Therapy on Coronary Artery Plaque in Patients With Coronary Artery Disease: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
Alfaddagh A1, Elajami TK1, Ashfaque H1, Saleh M1, Bistrian BR1, Welty FK2.
- So, the noise continues unabated and will do so forever as long as we are owned by a Pharmaceutical only future that demands our retirement be spent on drugs. Prevention is dead cures only please they say.
But you can break that chain by remaining poised above the noise!